Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Shangri-las - Give him a great big kiss - 1965

I echo this commentary from Boing Boing:

"The reason I don't listen to oldies radio stations is because they play the same 200 songs over and over again. You'd think Otis Redding never recorded anything besides 'Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay.'

"I also hope I never again hear the Shangri-La's sing 'My Boyfriend's Back'/'Leader of the Pack.' But check out this great song of theirs from 1965, called 'Give Him a Great Big Kiss.' What can't they at least alternate this one with 'My Boyfriend's Back?'"

I absolutely agree, except for the part where he says he never wants to hear My Boyfriend's Back or Leader of the Pack, both of which I could listen to over and over again.

Ginny has unearthed some of the rare corners of her musical taste on this blog, and girl groups from the 60's is definitely one of mine. If you've ever caught me singing "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" at karaoke, you know this is true.

Just listening to this stuff gets me hyphy. The melodies, the beat, the shouting -- this here is party music.

1 comment:

El Clyne said...

If I said I didn't listen to oldies stations I would be lying, BUT I think that Boing Boing makes a great point here.

Now let's sing some karaoke.